At a recent Autism Society of Pittsburgh support group meeting, Claudia Neely of socialskillssuccess.com shared these tips for reducing stress in families with autistic children.
- Define success for your own family!
- Ask for help! The Autism Society of Pittsburgh Support Group can be a source of positive help for you.
- Build on your child’s strengths! Remind yourself daily of their progress – and yours!
- Use sensory activity! – for you and your child.
- Do you yourself need calming or stimulating activities! Get outside! Physical activity and fresh air are invigorating.
- Connect to your sense of wonder! The littlest things like baking cookies, blowing bubbles or watching a waterfall together can be so positive.
- Play to your and your child’s temperament! Consider that they may prefer to be quiet or alone during stressful times.
- Keep track of schedules and stress markers! – helpful in preventing more stress down the road.
- Remember the value of standing with your child! Never give up on advocacy!